Friday, August 28, 2009

Cat


Yes, that cupcake does say "Cat". Cat (or Catherine) is my sister. When I was out visiting her in California I was also lucky enough to be there for her birthday. She requested that I make her my cupcakes for her birthday, and she got her wish. These are Coconut Creme filled Chocolate Cupcakes. Kind of like a Hostess Cupcake (which I made before a few posts back), only with coconut a.k.a. one of the best combinations ever. Here is the recipe:

Coconut Creme filled Chocolate Cupcake:

1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes
Take out, set to cool.

After the cupcakes are completely cooled off, you want to cut a hole in the top of the cupcake. I have pictures throughout my blog of this. If you follow it, you'll probably know what I'm talking about. Take a sharp knife and cut an upside down "cone" shape in the top of each cupcake. Take that piece out.

The filling for this is just simple vanilla frosting with coconut extract.

Simple Vanilla Frosting:

1/2 cup earth balance
1/2 cup shortening
3 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup soy milk

+ 1 tbsp of coconut extract

On the piece of cupcake you cut out, cut the cone shape off of the end (you can eat that part) so it's just the flat top part. Once you fill the part of cupcake you cut out with your filling, you can put the top back on it.

I topped this cupcake with chocolate ganache

Chocolate Ganache:

1/2 cup soy milk
2 1/2 cups semisweet vegan chocolate chips

Over low to medium heat, combine the soy milk and the chocolate chips in a sauce pan and keep mixing it until they mix together.

Once this is cooled off a bit (but still melty) put about a teaspoon of this over each cupcake and spread it around until it covers most, or all of the top.

With extra coconut frosting, you can put it into a piping bag and make a Hostess-esq design on the top.

I love you Catherine!
Happy Baking.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I am so excited I made it on the blog! I love you too. Yes it's 3 am.

    ReplyDelete